Ibuprofen is a drug used to relieve pain (analgesic), inflammation (inflammatory) and fever (antipyretic). It is one of the most common causes of drug poisoning in children by their wide use.
The acute effects of overdose are rare and occur in less than 0.3% of cases. The acute effects seen in children who drink 400 mg per kilo of weight.
Poisoning is due to accidental ingestion of ibuprofen, usually in syrup form and by the child (hence the importance of never out of reach of children medicines).
Symptoms begin 4 hours after ingestion and resolve within a day. What is the most common clinical appearance of gastrointestinal: nausea, vomiting and belly pain. It can also occur drowsiness and lethargy. Other symptoms may be more rare double vision (diploplia), headache, nystagmus, and tinnitus.
In more severe cases can cause metabolic acidosis and kidney damage.
It is essential to visit a health center to monitor the child and monitor kidney function. A good support is essential because there is no antidote.